The investment management industry is in an unprecedented era of change. Increased globalization, increased regulation and changes to our domestic and international tax environment present complex cross-border legal and tax challenges. At the same time investors continue to demand higher returns.
You can count on our innovative, market-relevant, legal, regulatory and tax advice and solutions, as well as our ability to work across borders to help you achieve your goals. Our work is to support you with the design and formation of successful and sustainable fund and investment structures enabling you to do what you are good at – seeking market opportunities, raise capital and provide return to your investors.
What we can do for you
Our multidisciplinary fund team represents sponsors and investors in a broad range of (alternative) asset classes, with a focus on private equity and real estate, and from around the world. We know the ‘terms & conditions’ of the various alternative asset classes and can help you with fund and investment structures that fit your strategy, investor base and management organisation. Our solution driven approach and execution power will help you to go from term sheet to closing of your transaction in a seamless way.
The strength and depth of our fund formation skills, know-how of various strategies and understanding of investors’ demands, has made us the investment management practice of choice of both long-standing and new clients. Whether it involves the initial ‘term sheet’, the formation, structuring, marketing, documentation or closing: we cover all aspects of investment fund services. Being organized as integrated practices, you also have the capacities to accompany fund managers in the acquisitions and disposals, and related financing.
Due to the regulatory framework, funds need to comply with more complicated remuneration structures for senior managers and risk takers. We have an in-depth knowledge on all aspects of scheduling and implementing salary and remuneration structures, including development of deferral incentive schemes and share linked instruments, and have assisted several funds in the implementation of such schemes.
International fund structuring comes naturally to us due to our unique tax capacity and international client base. We share industry insights derived from our many transactions in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, UK, US, Switzerland and Asia in order to bring clients sustainable, best-value funds and investment structures.
Fund formation services
Our fund formation services include:
- Advice on the optimal (cross-border) fund and investment structure, taking into account the investors base, the investment strategy and the organisation of the management
- International investment management tax structuring, taking into account the “BEPS” and transfer pricing developments, as well as investment management-related VAT issues
- Structuring and negotiating of fund documentation with investors, from a tax, corporate and remuneration perspective
- Structuring of carried interest, organisation of employee investment entities and structuring of other incentive arrangements
- Providing regulatory, corporate and tax advice to institutional investors like pension funds, public investment entities, mutual funds, hedge funds and proprietary funds sponsored by insurance companies, banks and other
- Rendering capital market-related work in relation to listings and delisting through, among others, public offers of investment funds
- Assistance with financial and tax modelling
- Yearly tax and legal fund review, corporate housekeeping
- Drafting remuneration policy and drafting management reports;
- negotiations with supervisors on all corporate and employment aspects of the fund
Our transaction services include:
- Fund finance
- Deal structuring, business plan and tax forecast
- Tax and legal due diligence
- Transaction documentation and negotiations
- Regulatory advise (e.g. merger control)
- Fund finance
ArianeBrohezAttorney at law Partner
Ariane is a member of the Loyens & Loeff Real Estate Practice Group in Belgium and of the Investment Management/Funds Team. She is a partner in our Brussels office with a broad practice of counselling in real estate transactions and taxation.T: +32 2 743 43 21 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
HélèneBourleauAttorney at law Associate
Hélène Bourleau is a member of the Indirect Tax Practice Group in Belgium and of the Italian Desk. She is an associate in our Brussels office and focusses on indirect tax matters.T: +32 2 773 23 83 E: email@example.com
AntoineBéchaimontAttorney at law Associate
Antoine Béchaimont is a member of the Loyens & Loeff Real Estate Practice Group in Belgium and of the Investment Management/Funds Team. He is an associate in our Brussels office with a broad practice of counselling in real estate transactions and taxation.T: +32 2 700 10 39 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
KrisDe SchutterAttorney at law Partner
Kris De Schutter is a partner in our office in Brussels and member of Loyens & Loeff’s Employment & Benefits Practice Group. He has extensive experience in alternative (flexible) remuneration, restructuring and change processes.T: +32 2 700 10 13 E: email@example.com
ChristopheLaurentAttorney at law Partner
Christophe heads the Loyens & Loeff Real Estate Practice Group in Belgium and is a member of the Investment Management/Funds Team. He is a partner in the Brussels office with a broad practice of counselling in real estate transactions and taxation.T: +32 2 743 43 05 E: firstname.lastname@example.org