Mergers and acquisitions
The challenges in today’s international markets, where regulations and business practices vary, are many. Whether you are buying, selling, partnering with or investing in a company, the success of mergers and acquisitions as growth strategy depends on getting the right answers to the right questions. What are the opportunities? What are the risks? What about compliance? Which structure is most effective? What are the legal implications? Our team can assist you to help you achieve your goals.
At Loyens & Loeff, we believe in a solution-based and multi-disciplinary approach. We encourage entrepreneurship. Therefore, M&A is at the heart of what we do. Drawing on expertise across our firm, Loyens & Loeff’s fully integrated teams are ready to assist you in successfully executing even the most complex acquisitions, mergers or divestitures. Our lawyers assist you through all stages of a transaction, from deal origin to business integration, ensuring a smooth experience.
Our international depth and reach support clients across the full range of M&A transactions, whether domestic or cross-border, with expertise in buy- and sell side due diligence procedures, SPA (Sale & Purchase Agreements) negotiations and arranging smooth closing of the transaction with our notary department, as well as developing transaction structures in your best interest
Our domestic and cross-border M&A practice supports clients across the world with all aspects of the transaction. Some recently handled matters:
- Assisted a listed US-based company that provides international seaborne crude oil transportation services in relation to the stock-for-stock merger of its entire issued and outstanding share capital. We assisted the client with all Belgian law aspects of the transaction, including due diligence, advising on and reviewing transaction documentation related to the merger and the listing of new shares, in close cooperation with the client’s US counsel.
- Assisted a manufacturer of confectionery products, in the acquisition of the third-largest non-chocolate confectionary company in the U.S. with the structuring of the transaction, the financing, the merger clearance and Belgian law aspects in general.
- Assisted a global industrial conglomerate, with the Belgian law aspects of its oil and gas business restructuring in order to complete a partial buy-out; this included advising on and assisting with the preparation, implementation and execution of the transfer of the clients oil and gas business to a special purpose company and providing post-transaction care and follow-up.
- Assisted a US-based international listed company in relation to the Belgian legal aspects of a public takeover to create an undisputed main brewing company with an approximate value of EUR 218 billion.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the Belgian law aspects of the sale of its global generic pharmaceuticals business.
- Advised and assisted a leading international US concert promotor on a joint venture relationship with a Belgian investment firm in relation to a world festival.
- Assisted a venture investment firm in relation to its investment into an insurtech start-up.
PeterCallensAttorney at law Partner
Peter Callens is a partner in the Corporate and M&A Practice Group in Belgium. He has extensive experience in national and international corporate transactions and post-transaction dispute resolution and is recognised for his expertise worldwide.T: +32 2 743 43 95 E: email@example.com
GrégoireJakhianAttorney at law Partner
Grégoire Jakhian heads the Corporate and M&A Practice Group and the Aviation Team in Belgium. Grégoire has extensive experience in cross-border M&A transactions, take-over bids, corporate finance dispute resolution (including arbitration) and civil law.T: +32 2 743 43 54 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
WimVande VeldeAttorney at law Local partner
Wim Vande Velde is a local partner in the Corporate and M&A Practice Group in Belgium. He has extensive experience in national and international M&A transactions for both listed and non-listed companies, as well as in corporate restructuring.T: +32 2 743 43 96 E: email@example.com